Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I'm still Tanya

I'm still Tanya. I still laugh (like everyone else) I still get mad (like everyone else would). I still get happy (like everyone else). I still have feelings just like everyone else. I love (like everyone else). I cry (like everyone else). When I have these feelings it doesn't mean I'm having an episode, or that I'm over reacting. Sometimes I do over react and I have to apoligize later. I have to check myself and hope those around me will also. This is not a statement to anyone in paticular. I have someone who is paying for my treatment, one who is working hard for my insurance, and one who is emotionally supporting me. I can't be any luckier. I love you guys and you all know who you are. I need more understanding.

I need friends and family to understand this is an illness not a handicap or an attitude. I can lead a normal life with the right medications. I can almost be just as normal as you. Research has shown you are born bi-polar. And it takes 8-9 years from your first episode to be diagnosed. Mine was all the hormone changes in pregnancy. So yay!! it only took 7 years for me. I am not handicapped, I can see, smell, hear, walk just like you. I just do it different. I don't have to have a wheelchair or hearing aids or go to chemo. My treatment is getting on the right meds which can take 6-9 months, sometimes longer.

4 comments:

  1. I still think you are wonderful, and strong, and funny, and everything else. I think it's amazing that you are willing to share your journey on this blog. I am so blessed to have you as a sister-in-law. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this blog! I appreciate you having the energy and courage to help all of us "understand". I know that those members of my family who suffer are reluctant to share what they are going through. I know that many ppl associate any kind of emotional/mental illness like the plague and think that those people are crazy. You are not crazy, you are far from it, you are awesome! I admire you so much for sharing your thoughts, feelings and experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Tanya, horns and all. Keep up the good work in your journey to wellness. Can't wait to see you (just over 3 weeks!)

    ReplyDelete